Suicide Prevention Training and Resources for Educators
Resources for Parents and Caregivers
- "Before It's Too Late: Preventing Teen Suicide" is a Kentucky Educational Television video program for parents and other adults, hosted by Renee Shaw. It highlights family members who have been directly impacted by youth suicide, and experts who provide advice for those who fear that a youth whom they know may be considering suicide.
- Society for Prevention of Teen Suicide (SPTS). SPTS has prepared suicide prevention resources for parents and families regarding questions to ask when seeking mental health services for a child or youth, talking with youth about suicide or suicide loss, and other helpful information.
- The Jed Foundation. One in ten college students says that he or she has seriously considered suicide within the past year. The Jed Foundation offers advice and resources for parents of college students.
- "Childhood Depression: Tips for Parents" is an online guide by Mental Health America to help parents and guardians of children and youth who may have depression or other mental health issues. It also provides links to resources for finding help.
- "School-Based Suicide Prevention: A Matter of Life and Death" Video. This online video features Kentucky school principals, staff and parents who have experienced suicide loss, including suicide contagion in the school, and steps schools can take to reduce suicide and suicide attempts among their students. This video can be used with staff training, but is not appropriate for youth or children. Use the Contact Information on this page to obtain a copy of the video.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness Child & Adolescent Action Center provides mental health resources for parents, caregivers and youth.