Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
To file a HIPAA complaint, call (800) 635-2570.
Links to Standards for Transactions and Code Sets
- American Dental Association (ADA). This site is a resource to order the Current Dental Terminology 3rd Edition codes (CDT-3, HCPCS Level II "D" codes), and for the Dental Content Committee (DECC) that sets standards for the dental claim form and maintains dental codes.
- American Hospital Association (AHA) Central Office on ICD-9-CM. This site is a resource for the International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM) codes, used in medical transcription and billing, and for Level I HCPCS.
- American Medical Association (AMA). This site is a resource for the Current Procedural Terminology 4th Edition codes (CPT-4). The AMA copyrights the CPT codes.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). This site provides the Electronic Health Care Transactions and Code Sets Model Compliance Plan.
- Final Transactions and Code Sets Rule. This rule adopts standards and code sets under HIPAA for electronic transactions. It also contains requirements concerning the use of these standards by health plans, health care clearinghouses, and health care providers.
- Health Level Seven (HL7). Health Level Seven is one of several ANSI accredited Standards Development Organizations (SDO), and is responsible for clinical and administrative data standards.
- National Council of Prescription Drug Programs (NCPDP). The NCPDP is the standards and codes development organization for pharmacy.
- National Drug Code Directory (NDC). This site is a resource for the National Drug Code Directory.
- National Uniform Billing Committee (NUBC). NUCB is affiliated with the American Hospital Association, and develops standards for institutional claims.
- National Uniform Claim Committee (NUCC). NUCC is affiliated with the American Medical Association. It develops and maintains a standardized data set for use by the non-institutional health care organizations to transmit claims and encounter information. NUCC maintains the national provider taxonomy.
- The Accredited Standards Committee (ASC X12). ASC X12 develops and maintains standards for inter-industry electronic interchange of business transactions.
- Washington Publishing Company (WPC). WPC is a resource for HIPAA required transaction implementation guides and code sets.