SCL Questions and Answers

Questions Related to Credentialing and Continuing Education

Pertaining to the continuing education required for professional staff that is in new regulations/policy manual, can the hours include training like crisis prevention, focus tool, CM, Big Day training, PDS training, or does it have to be something above and beyond those trainings offered by DDID and/or from an outside company or business?
The six hours of ongoing professional development must be training or professional development opportunities other than those required in regulation or required by DDID. Therefore, the DDID Crisis Prevention and Intervention training, Case Management training, Phase I and II College of Direct Support (CDS) modules, DDID Medication Administration training are not eligible to count as ongoing professional development.

In addition, training such as First Aid and CPR which require annual updates are not eligible, nor is training required by the agency such as policies/procedures, orientation, and PDS training required by the individual or any required training necessary to support an individual. Training required for PDS services that are designated in the regulation are not eligible to count for ongoing development.

However, things that would count for ongoing professional development are:
  • CDS modules not required in Phase I or II training.
  • Training offered by the agency, either from internal or external resources, on topics that assist in provision of supports to multiple individuals supported by the agency.
  • Training offered by DDID either through webinars, modules, or face-to-face methods on a variety of topics, including DSP Credentialing, which are not required in regulation; conferences such as APSE, TASH, AAIDD, NADD, or SPEAK
  • Seminars or other educational opportunities offered by associations, agencies, etc. which are applicable to a staff member's role and responsibilities.

Professional staff such as case managers or positive behavior support specialists who have specific topics designated in the regulation may attend professional conferences, training, or events related to those topical areas.

Several Web-based training events are available from outside sources, as well as agencies who offer ongoing professional development, which may carry a cost to the individual or agency. Please contact Barb Locker (
What is "documentation of completion of the expanded requirements for the direct support professional credentialed in the area of positive behavior supports?" Says we need that in our cover letter for exceptional supports.

Should that be considered "as applicable"? I have not heard this defined further so any clarification would be awesome!
As noted in the Exceptional Supports Protocol (ESP), if an individual's needs are such that staff (specifically Direct Support Professionals) implementing exceptional behavioral health or behavioral supports require specialized training in the area of positive behavior supports, it is expected the DSP is appropriately trained to provide the specialized services for that individual.

The expanded requirements for DSPs credentialed in the area of positive behavior support may be met by completing the Kentucky Direct Support Professional Specialty in Positive Behavior Support (DSP-SPBS) Credential available through DDID or an equivalent national credential as referenced in the KY DSP-SPBS Application Packet.

Documentation that a DSP has met those requirements would be the actual copy of the current credential issued to the DSP by the appropriate credentialing agency (DDID, NADD, or NADSP). This is an "as applicable" component of the ESP.

You may download a copy of the Application Packet for the KY DSP Specialty in PBS from the SCL Training page (see Related Links).

The Application for DSP-SPBS contains the qualifications necessary for a DSP to attain a DDID issued credential through education, experience, or having attained an equivalent national credential. If the DSP seeks to attain a DDID-issued credential based upon experience, the competencies and skills the DSP must demonstrate in a portfolio are outlined.
Are there any changes in staff credentialing due to a lack of providers being able to provide such services as Community Access? If not, what is the direction if there are not enough providers offering the service to cover the demand?

Not a lot of providers, if any, are offering Community Access in central Kentucky or rural areas. Does the Department have a list of providers authorized/approved or currently providing those supports?
Thus far, there has not been clear evidence of a shortage of providers for Community Access (CA). The DDID online provider directory lists agencies that plan to offer the service. Current CLS staff employed prior to 1/1/14 are able to provide Community Access Services if they pursue and complete a credential within one year.
Can a provider, without a degree or five years' experience, who is hired after 1/1/14, pursue credentialing prior to providing CA?
An individual hired on or after 1/1/14 who does not meet the educational or five years' experience requirement may seek a credential at any point for CA. The individual will not be held to a time frame such as those employed prior to 1/1/14.

The individual must have a minimum of one year of I/DD experience to be eligible to seek a credential, and must demonstrate proficiency in the competencies and skills for the CA Specialty Credential. The credential replaces the degree. Until the individual receives the credential, he or she will not be eligible to provide CA Specialist functions.
After 1/1/14, what are the qualifications to provide CA?
On or after 1/1/14, the qualifications to provide Community Access are stipulated in the regulation 907 KAR 12:010 Section 1 (see Related Links or visit
This is what is on the streets per regulatory representation: 3) After 1/1/14 the qualifications to provide CA is that you have to have a bachelor's degree. Years’ experience and credentialing no longer apply. Is this true?
This is false. You must have a bachelor's degree in Human Services or a bachelor's degree in any program of study plus one year of experience in I/DD, or relevant experience or credentialing will substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. Below are a couple of brief examples which may help.

Example 1: An individual may have completed an associate degree in the Human Services program at Jefferson Community College and then worked at Agency A providing relevant CA-type supports for three years. Therefore, the individual would be qualified for the CA Specialist position.

Example 2: A potential candidate for a position as CA Specialist at Agency A has two years of relevant, full-time experience in I/DD. You want to employ the candidate and the candidate is ambitious. You may employ the candidate as a DSP and the candidate begins completing the credential program.

It takes the candidate less than a year to develop and submit a portfolio and receive the credential as a DSP-SCA. The effective date of the candidate's credential is the date the candidate is eligible to provide CA services as a CA Specialist. At that point, you may transition the candidate to that position within the agency.