Community Support Associate Curriculum Approval Process
Curriculum Approval Process for the Community Support Associate
Initial 10-Hour Training Requirements
The Department for Behavioral Health, Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities will approve the initial 10-hour training curriculum for the Community Support Associate (CSA) as written in the Kentucky Administrative Regulations (see "908 KAR 2:250" in Related Links).
This regulation specifies five areas of focus, which are:
- Principles of recovery and resilience.
- Principles of psychiatric rehabilitation.
- Effective listening and communication skills.
- Diagnosis and medication management of mental health disorders or co-occurring disorders.
- Crisis coping skills.
Sample curriculum formats are provided in the "Curriculum Approval Process" section. For a link to a list of Approved Curricula, see the Related Links box.
Curriculum Approval Process
- Review the Curriculum Rubric document below to understand what information is needed in the curriculum and how the curriculum will be scored.
- Below are some sample resources to assist with curriculum development:
- Sample curriculum format: PDF Word
- Links to sample curricula:
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: Curriculum for Addiction Professionals, SAMHSA
- Core Curriculum on Tuberculosis: What the Clinician Should Know, CDC
- Illustration of the steps for the curriculum development process: PDF Word
- Submit the following items for review:
- A Curriculum Application Form.
- A Curriculum Rubric document for the curriculum submitted, with the yellow section completed on the rubric. Please note that the curriculum cannot be reviewed if the rubric's yellow section is incomplete, and the submitter's information will be returned and resubmission requested.
- A curriculum submitted for CSA, saved as a Word or PDF file using a USB flash drive. Clearly label the USB flash drive with the provider's name.
Submit this information to:
Department for Behavioral Health, Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities
Division of Program Integrity
Program Support Branch
275 E. Main Street 4CD
Frankfort, KY 40621
After the curriculum is received, it will be reviewed within 20 business days. Communication on the status of the submitted curriculum will be sent to the contact person listed on the "Curriculum Application Form."
Once the curriculum is approved, then the provider will submit general information on those who have completed this training. Correspondence concerning the submission of this information will be sent via mail or email.
- Curriculum Rubric PDF Word
This document explains how the curriculum will be scored.
- Curriculum Application Form PDF Word
This document contains identifying information about the applicant who is applying for curriculum approval. Please remember to submit this form and a USB flash drive of the curriculum for review.
Questions About the Process?
Please click on "Email Contact Form" in the Contact Information box to submit questions about the process.