"Never doubt that a group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Margaret Meade
The Alcohol Prevention Enhancement Site (PES) disseminates the latest national research on alcohol environmental strategies, and provides technical assistance and training on implementing and evaluating effective environmental strategies to reduce alcohol availability to underage youth.
The primary objective of the Alcohol PES is to empower Regional Prevention Centers and community coalitions statewide to implement policies at the local level that will have a positive and lasting effect on the community environment, thereby reducing the harmful consequences of illegal use and abuse of alcohol.
The Alcohol PES is charged with getting information, tools and techniques into the hands of people at the local level who can effect lasting change in the alcohol environment.
The Alcohol PES provides on-site training on community-based prevention topics such as the following:
- Alcohol's Impact on Athletic Performance (for coaches and/or student athletes)
- Alcopops: Malt Beverages Masquerading as Malted Milkshakes (for adults)
- Building Youth Coalitions and Teen Leaders: Involve. Recruit. Motivate.
- Cost Effective Marketing for Coalitions
- Dangers of Alcohol on the Developing Brain and Peer Pressure (for middle school)
- Environmental Strategies to Reduce Youth Access to Alcohol
- Forging Community and Statewide Collaboration to Enhance Prevention
- Implementing Alcohol Regulations at the Local Level
- Kentucky Alcohol Policy
- Kentucky DUI Laws and High Visibility Enforcement
- Media Influence on Alcohol Abuse: We can Respond
- Peer Pressure, Decisions, and Alcohol Prevention (for K-5)
- Powdered Alcohol, Vaporizers and Other Risky Teen Alcohol Trends (for adults)
- Responsible Beverage Server (RBS) Training in Kentucky
- Social Host Ordinances 101 and 102: Learn. Act. Impact. Save Lives.
- Thinking and Drinking Don't Mix (for high school)
- Underage and Binge Drinking Prevention 101 and 102
- Why 21: History and Benefits to the 21-MDAL
The Alcohol PES also provides technical assistance and consultation on a wide variety of alcohol environmental strategy-related topics, including data collection and setting goals and objectives of the strategy and evaluation.
The Alcohol PES serves as a resource center for communities seeking information on current research, relevant statistics and effective strategies.
For more information about projects and research, and an interactive county map, please use the "KY Alcohol PES" link in the Related Links box at the right of the page.
Alcohol PES Manager
Tara McGuire assumed the role of State Alcohol Prevention Enhancement Site Coordinator at Bluegrass Regional Prevention Center in July 2012. Before coming to work for Bluegrass, Tara served for nearly six years as the State Youth Program Specialist for Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) Kentucky, where she managed a statewide program geared to prevent underage drinking utilizing environmental strategies.
Tara graduated from Transylvania University with a B.A. in Business Administration and Marketing. She was recognized in 2008 and 2010 as an honoree to the MADD National Mickey Sadoff Award. She was the recipient of the 2008 Kentucky Enforcing Underage Drinking Laws Dedication and Service Award, and 2009 State Honorary Membership Award in the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America.
She served on the Fayette County ASAP Board and Lexington Mayor's Alliance as the Alcohol Committee Chairperson between 2006 and 2012, and was recognized as the Board Member of the Year. Tara was also a member of the State Steering Committee to the 2009 and 2010 PRIDE World Youth Drug Prevention Conferences.
Return to top