Kentucky's Operation Immersion
May 711, 2018
Wendell H. Ford
Regional Training Center
Registration is now open for Operation Immersion.
Click on the Register link in the Related Links box.
You will have 60 minutes to complete registration after you enter your email address.
Click the "OI Frequently Asked Questions" link for more information about the event.
This innovative five-day training event will be held May 7-11, 2018, at Wendell H. Ford Regional Training Center in Greenville, Kentucky. Operation Immersion is designed to expand the knowledge base and skills of professionals and providers who support Kentucky’s Service Members, Veterans and their Families (SMVF).
This event is presented by the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS), Kentucky Department for Behavioral Health, Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities (DBHDID), and the Kentucky National Guard. With classroom workshops taught by field experts and first-hand military experiences taught by military leaders, this unique training experience is unlike any other.
Just as the military prepares its members by putting them through boot camp and training in order to face what lies ahead, this hands-on experience will equip you with the knowledge and understanding to support Kentucky’s SMVF population on the home front.
Thank you in advance for your commitment to serving Kentucky’s heroes.
I can honestly say that this was the single most valuable learning experience that I have ever encountered. The amount of learning and growth achieved during the four days is difficult to fully measure, as it is vast and deep.
Susan M. Scully-Hill, Ph.D.
The target audience includes, but is not limited to, community mental health and substance use disorder treatment agencies, social workers, professional counselors, nurses, psychiatrists, physicians, psychologists, clergy/pastoral, judicial/corrections, college students, Department of Veterans Affairs staff, and anyone else that serves the SMVF population.
The cost for this all-inclusive event is $100 per participant (a $1,375 value). This fee includes:
- 28.0 CEUs (approval pending).
- Classroom and field sessions.
- On-site lodging and meals.
- Use of equipment and facilities.
- Participant T-shirt.
- An experience that will enhance your skills for working with the SMVF population.
- A great networking opportunity to build your resources.
You will learn from expert trainers covering the following topics:
- Moral Injury (New)
- Vicarious Trauma Survival Skills (New)
- Veterans Treatment Court (New)
- Kentucky Resources for SMVF (New)
- Sleep and Nutritional Foundations (New)
- Military Culture
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Post-traumatic Growth
- Suicide Prevention
- Sexual Assault Prevention
- Combat-related Trauma
- Personal Stories From Service Members and Veterans
- Military Chaplaincy
- Substance Use
- Field Leadership Reaction Course
- Drill and Ceremony
- Virtual Combat Simulators
- Safety Lane Training
- Combat Missions Training Experience With Paintball
Space is limited to only 100 participants.
Please review the new eligibility requirements below and reserve your spot today.
OI is not just beneficial to us and our soldiers, but also to any veterans who receive services from providers who go through our program.
Brigadier General Charles Jones, Kentucky National Guard
Check-in begins Monday, May 7, at 11 a.m. CST and training starts at noon. Training concludes at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, May 11.
Lodging will be provided in the barracks on the nights of May 7, 8, 9 and 10. Barracks are furnished with bunk beds and military linens (two sheets, pillow and a pillowcase). Showers are bay style and open. Clothing for the training is casual (jeans, T-shirt, etc., as appropriate for Kentucky weather). Portions of this training take place outdoors, with experiences comparable to a moderate hike in the woods. Be prepared to experience dirt, grass, insects and other wildlife. A letter outlining more specific packing instructions will be sent to registrants closer to the training date.
A typical day begins with a modified "PT" workout (don’t worry, you can do it) followed by classroom sessions in the morning. In the afternoon, you will receive military skills training from the Kentucky National Guard experts. In addition, you will have the unique opportunity to experience some of the following: team-building exercises, virtual combat simulators and combat missions training (including paintball). Previously, some attendees participated in a training flight on a Blackhawk helicopter.
Note: Regarding physical training participation, staff and trainers will encourage you to do your personal best. It is not about what others can do, but what you can do. At any point in time that you feel unable to complete a task, please feel free to step aside and encourage others.
It was challenging. It was emotional. I was tired. And yet, it did not even begin to approximate what our soldiers and military personnel experience. As the second day unfolded, I was enthralled and motivated to learn and grow as much as I possibly could…By the end of the program, I felt deeply connected to the other participants and the staff and did not want the experience to end.
Priority Registration will be given to first time attendees and those that serve Kentucky’s Service Members, Veterans and their Families.
New for 2018: Eligiblity Requirements to Attend This Year
Please read the information prior to attempting registration.
All individuals must be at least 18 years old. Other eligibility requirements are listed below.
Providers and Professionals That Serve the SMVF Population in Kentucky
If you provide services to Kentucky’s SMVF residents or will in the future, you are highly encouraged to attend.
- Individuals who provide or expect to provide services to Kentucky’s SMVF population are welcome to attend. For example, a number of VA Hospitals in states that border Kentucky serve this population.
- If you have questions regarding eligibility, please contact the Program Administrator listed in the Contact Information box.
- Ineligible applicants may have their registration and payment canceled. Please realize a charge will be assessed for any refund.
Prior Operation Immersion Attendees
- If you attended Operation Immersion in 2017 and would like to attend again this year, you are required to bring at least two or more new recruits with you. (During the registration process, you must list the names of the individuals that will be accompanying you). New recruits will be required to complete the registration process separately. Failing to enter the names and contact information of at least two new individuals may cause your registration and payment to be cancelled. Please realize that a charge will be assessed for any refund.
- Individuals who participated from 2012 to 2016 will be allowed to attend individually, but are highly encouraged to bring at least one new recruit with you.
By registering for Operation Immersion, you are agreeing to the following:
- Pre/post test. New
- You will need to complete online modules prior to attending. New
- Photographs and videos will be taken during the event. Your photograph, image, or likeness may be utilized for future publicity and training opportunities by CHFS, DBHDID and the Kentucky National Guard.
- Your professional contact informationincluding: name, title, organization, email address and contact numberwill be shared with Operation Immersion participants, staff and presenters.
Once registration reaches capacity, a selection process and waiting list will be established in order to fill any open slots that may become available.
Please note (regarding background check): Per military regulations, we must collect confidential personal information in order for you to gain security clearance and access onto the military installation. This information is for Operation Immersion vetting purposes only. Your information will remain confidential and will only be shared with the registration team and the military security vetting office. Operation Immersion leadership will contact you directly if additional security clarification is needed regarding your access to the installation. Please DO NOT contact the Kentucky National Guard or the training site directly.
If you have questions regarding registration, or you do not receive registration confirmation within 72 hours, please use the "Registration Questions" contact in the Contact Information box, whose name is an email link.
If you have general questions, please contact the Program Administrator listed in the Contact Information box, whose name is an email link.
The deadline to cancel registration and request a partial refund is April 30, 2018. Please note that a partial refund will be given as we are charged a service fee for each transaction. Refunds will be processed within 30 days.